[EM] re: Brazil

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 17 12:07:35 PDT 2003

Kevin,

Even with no rankings, this system (which I think is used in Finland on a regional
basis,
I do not know if it is used on a national basis in Brazil) allows the voter more control

over which other candidates you're helping to elect than closed list.
With closed list I have to help to elect all candidates of the same party before
I can contribute to the one I like. With the Brazilian method, I directly go to my
favourite.

Now to continue your discussion about "surplus", I would need first to understand
if one voter is supposed to elect one single candidate or severals. It was not clear to
me
reading your previous descriptions...

I do understand that if multiple elected members are to be selected, such a system would

restrict voters to choose their favourite and after, without any freedom, forces them to

support the next best candidates of the same party according to other voters.
Personnally,
I would prefer such a system when there is only one candidate per riding of the same
party,
because I agree with you about the unfairness of such a restriction. For single-member
ridings, it vanishes. But you can still average all supports to identify the right
proportion of
each party, and after elect their best representatives.  The main problems is that at
the end,
you (rarely) would end up with some ridings with no winners, others with several, and
some with
the first non-elected but a lower one elected.  It all comes to learn to see an election
as a
representative exercise and not as a horse race... Finally, to be able to make such
comparisons
between ridings, you need equivalent ridings.  That's what SPPA tries to build, using
birthdates
or other non-discriminatory samplings of the population.

Finally, I cannot understand your analysis of the Brazilians political parties'
behaviours.
It seems clear to me that a "neo-liberal" that attracts votes should still be kicked out
of
a comunist party, or see it differently, (s)he should kick out the rest of the party!
Else the system makes it very obvious which parties and politicians are rotten
and it is in the hand of the public to vote or not for them... No system can cope
for rotten voters.

Stephane