[EM] re: Brazil

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Jul 16 17:52:02 PDT 2003

Kevin Venzke said:
> The parties don't stand for much because they can't discipline their
> candidates. What I mean is, it doesn't make sense for a party to "oust"
> a person if that person is capable of bringing votes to the party.  This
> tends to make the parties primarily alliances to get candidates elected,
> without specific policy ideas. Party-switching, once elected, is common.

I wonder to what extent this is related to native political culture rather
than the actual voting system.  It's common to blame the system for
political problems e.g. Italy's post-WWII governments are sometimes used
as arguments against PR and/or parliamentary systems, even though many
other countries use PR and/or parliamentary systems with great success and
stability.  Hitler is often used as an argument against PR, because the
Nazis were the largest minority party in parliament.

I would like to know how other countries' experiences with open-list
compare with Brazil's before concluding that open-list is the worst
possible PR system.

I will grant this much:  Although excessive party discipline can be a bad
thing, if parties lack any cohesiveness in a list system it means that
voters aren't really getting what they voted for.  I might say "Hey, I
voted for that guy because I liked him and his list-mates mostly espoused
positions I agreed with as well, but they lied!"  Then again, I expect
politicians to lie....

Anyway, I won't condemn a system based on a single country's experience
with it.

Alex