[EM] Worst methods ever used?

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Jul 16 11:16:02 PDT 2003

I'm trying to see what's wrong with this open list method, or at least why
you single out Brazil?  I thought that open list was a common method:
people vote for a party, and specify their favorite (or favorites) within
the party.  Seats are apportioned among parties, and the candidates with
the most votes in each party are the ones elected.

Now, many people here have made clear their preference for candidate-based
PR, as opposed to party-based PR, but not being the best is not the same
as being the worst.

Anyway, your description of Brazil's system sounds to me like a pretty
common method, that a lot of people around the world use without (too
much) complaint.  I'm trying to understand why you single out Brazil.
Maybe there's some other twist that distinguishes it from other
implementations of open-list?

Alex