[EM] The responsiveness of Condorcet / Monotonicity

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Tue Jul 15 08:53:06 PDT 2003

At 6:21 PM -0400 7/14/03, Dgamble997 at aol.com wrote:
>Monotonicity is undoubtedly a desirable feature of an electoral
>method. I do however feel that no method can be perfect

Of course, this is what Arrow proved.

>and that other features are more important ( proportional
>representation of parties, proportional representation of opinion,
>maximum freedom of  voter choice regarding the individuals who
>represent you, etc).

Just because other features are more important would not necessarily
imply that monotonicity would not be a necessary for any good
single-seat method.

It just seems silly that an election method which could cause B to
win if a single ballot was changed which moved A above B would be
considered remotely reasonable.

It is sufficient for me to know that an election method is not
monotonic in order to remove it from any further consideration for
single-seat elections. I am uncertain as to how it might apply to
various PR methods.