[EM] Arrow's Theorem.

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Mon Jul 14 12:20:04 PDT 2003

At 2:57 PM -0400 7/14/03, Rob Speer wrote:
>But the fact remains that it [Approval] seems to be immune to Arrow's
>theorem because it is not preferential.

No, it is not immune. It is just another system that fails to meet
all of the criteria that Arrow set forth.

The preference order that Approval uses is merely a binary one.
Either someone finds a candidate acceptable or they do not.

However, one objection I have with Approval is that people would
likely find themselves voting for everyone, excluding only those
people they dislike assuming they believe those they dislike have a
reasonable chance to win. For this is the only way to increase the
odds that those they dislike will not be elected.

Approval does not appear to encourage people to vote solely for those
they do like, which is what I would prefer.