[EM] Re: Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #152 - 6 msgs

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Wed Jul 9 23:01:01 PDT 2003

Not that this isn't an important issue, but it's not new news.  Check out:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/11/7/222359/785

I comment in that article, but just to paraphrase:

- Voting software should be subject to multiple audits.
- Voting machines should be required to produce a paper "receipt" or two,
at least one which remains locked inside the machine in case a recount is
needed.  If the receipt doesn't print the vote isn't counted.  There are
already some voting machines that are made this way - it should be mandatory.

But just because these laws aren't on the books, doesn't mean electronic
voting machines are a bad idea.  Touch-screen voting machines are important
if we want/expect a typical voter to manually rank more than a few candidates.

-Adam