[EM] Remembering the plain English

matt matt matt at tidalwave.net
Tue Jul 8 20:10:02 PDT 2003

Tue Jul 8 08:03:07 2003
John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net wrote

"So, for example, The Approval-voting "nightmare" I quoted from Saari yesterday: 9,999 voters rank the candidates ABC, 1 ranks them CBA, all vote for their top two. B wins with 10,000 votes to A's 9,999. AV is here doing exactly what it set out to do; this is not a malfunction. I doubt any other voting method would do the same, but that is not surprising, because they are trying to do other things."

Any approval or ranked ballot method can be modified to make A the winner in this case by simply postulating that if more than 50% of the valid ballots rank one or more candidates in first place then the candidate with the most first place votes wins.

Sent via the WebMail system at tidalwave.net