[EM] CR/Approval

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Jul 3 12:39:02 PDT 2003

Good points in the critique below.

Here's another way to get around the problem of deciding whether or not to
approve a candidate whose rating precisely matches the approval cutoff:

Use an even number CR resolution, so the max value is odd, for example CR
values from zero to three.  Then the first stage approval cutoff is an
half integer value (in this case 1.5), a value occupied by no candidate.

In the second stage use for a cutoff value the average of the old cutoff
value and the CR of the first stage winner.

In the zero thru three example this value will be of the form (n/2) + .75,
so it will not be the CR of any candidate.

This method gives equal weight to the first stage winner CR and the zero
info cutoff value in determining the second stage cutoff value.

If the voter wanted to, she could award only the extreme CR values.  That
would be equivalent to casting an approval ballot.

But it seems to me that there would be some advantage in using the two
middle levels as well.

In the case of eight levels (zero thru seven) it might be good to have
four stages, because that is how many stages it would take before the
cutoff could possibly distinguish between zero and one, or between six and
seven.

At the fourth stage the cutoff level would be (r1+r2+r3+3.5)/4, where the
ratings r1 thru r3 are the CR values for the stage one thru three winners.

None of the cutoffs at any of the stages could be a whole number, since
the average of a set of integers with a non-integer (in this case 3.5)
cannot be a whole number.

I like this zero thru seven method because of the "seven plus or minus"
psychology, and the fact that the most common Condorcet cycles are cycles
of three candidates.

I'll post some examples next week if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Forest