[EM] Re: [UWSA] Voting debate - missing the target

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Jul 28 13:53:48 PDT 2003

Let me expand a bit on what I wrote Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:40:16 -0400

Jerry has talked of part of it.

BIG DEAL is to REQUIRE that potential vendors provide open source code to
both encourage them to provide code that does what it promises for the
public, AND that poll watchers can get validated by whoever they trust as
willing and able to do this.

Machine should:
      Probably have a Z80 chip - old and stable, yet hopefully not too
easy to make hacked imitations without getting caught.
      Battery backup, inside the machine.
      Have a clock, to record time whenever appropriate.
      Able to print results both at beginning of a mode to show zeros, and
at end to show voting totals.  This printer only needs dependability, not
speed, for it does little printing.  If ballots are to be printed for some
reason, that gets done by some other device.
      Able to read and write CDRs
      Have random access memory (likely a hard disk) to stow ballots as
voted, but in random order for secrecy.
      Probably some firmware, but the voting machine program comes from
the CDR - thus versions tailored to the election methods being used can be
loaded.
      Have visible modes of operation:
           Setup before polls open.
           Checking - operate EXACTLY as with polls open, except that
indicators visible to everyone, ESPECIALLY "voters", show the mode.
Includes printing results when machine switches to another mode.
           Polls open - exactly same as checking, except mode is
displayed.
           Leaving checking or open mode - need, when polls close, to
automatically print results on the same paper as has been in the printer
since zeros were printed at time polls were opened.
      Any access doors, etc., that were open during setup must be locked
in other modes (such as the CDR drive).  If machine is able to access the
internet, this prohibition applies to that ability.

CDR content:
      Voting machine program - provided by vendor, validated by poll
watchers and others, and copied onto a CDR for each machine before
election day.
      Ballot definition - provided for each precinct.  Probably done by
election workers before election day.  Vendor provides PC program for
doing this and I see no need for validating this program - sensitive part
is what format the voting machine program is willing to accept, and that
election workers validate this on a voting machine in checking mode at
preparation time and poll watchers validate during checking mode.
      Diary - voting machine program records everything that might be of
interest as it happens on this single voting day:
           Probably omit this during checking mode, or have two checking
modes, one including diary to be like open mode.
           Must NOT record votes when voted (must keep secrecy, thus
record these only in random order, thus I believe the CDR cannot be used
for this.
      Record of all ballots for history, but arranged in random order for
secrecy before writing to the CDR.

Note that I put no special effort into seeing to it that the right program
and ballot definition was on the CDR.  Instead, the CDR gets identified by
the diary that is recorded on it while polls are open, and election
workers are going to try to make sure that the program and definition on
that CDR are the correct ones.

Dave Ketchum

--
davek at clarityconnect.com  http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek