[EM] Request comments on MMP?

John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net
Wed Jul 23 14:02:27 PDT 2003

Greetings- For my continuing effort to educate myself on these
issues, I'd like to ask for people's views on the "mixed member
proportional" system, the prototype of which is Germany. (I've heard
New Zealand also has recently adopted this system, I'd like to learn
more details of that case also.) In fantasy/utopian thinking, I
imagine that MMP would be good for the U.S. Senate. One member chosen
from each state by some single-winner method, the rest allocated to
parties by party-list PR so as to make the TOTAL 100-seats
distributed proportionally, or as close as possible thereto. This
would require a Constitutional amendment, so I know it won't happen,
but after imagining the House of Representatives chosen by STV-PR in
districts of 3, 5, or 7 seats (the best outcome I can believe might
actually happen) I'd like to give smaller parties some alternate
route to representation.

USA voters are so accustomed to single-member districts that
commentators who should know better are seriously proposing
Cumulative voting in "superdistricts" of three seats, as a radical
and daring reform. I agree it would be an improvement over
SMD-plurality, but Gee, any reform is going to be hard enough to get,
we should try to do better than that.

I know folks here don't much like Party-list PR, and most would
rather avoid single-winner elections whenever possible, so perhaps
MMP is just the worst of both worlds. Perhaps the best we can hope
for for the Senate is some single-winner method, pick your favorite.

Party-list PR, for all its faults, has some aspects that could be an
advantage, especially if applied only to part of the system. It
allows much larger district magnitudes than STV, so the threshold for
winning a seat can be much lower. Candidates on a list can be chosen
AS an ensemble, i.e. deliberately chosen to be attractive to voters
as a team, which would (and empirically does) lead to more women and
minority officeholders than even STV. It subjects those officeholders
elected BY party-list to serious "party discipline", which in turn
makes party platforms into meaningful documents, which voters can
read and compare, gaining MUCH more information about how
officeholders are likely to vote on issues. It might be argued that
even the aspect of list-PR that gives party heavyweights "guaranteed
seats" could have a place as one piece of a large and diverse
governing system. (For example, candidates for President are usually
either Governors of large states, or Senators. MMP would give smaller
parties at least a few "secure seats", where their officholder can
accumulate experience, lay down a record of his/her votes on
legislation, and develop name recognition.)
John B. Hodges, jbhodges@    @usit.net

"The secret of the demagogue is to make himself as stupid as
  his audience so that they believe they are as clever as he."
    -- Karl Kraus