[EM] Condorcet completed by Approval Elimination , corrected (was re: Approval-completed Condorcet redux)

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 16 12:10:03 PDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: re:[EM] Approval-completed Condorcet redux
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:12:40 +0930
From: Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com>
To: election-methods-electorama.com at electorama.com

Sorry, when I first tried to sugest this method (in a posting on Mon.
July 7,2003),
I left out a step.

After much thought, this is my very serious proposal  for the best
version of  Approval-completed  Condorcet for public elections.
Voters rank the candidates, equal preferences ok. Also voters insert an
Approval cutoff, default  is between  1 and 2. (Yes/No option for each
candidate is also ok, with default being Yes to all the number ones and
No to the rest.)
If any candidates are approved by a majority, eliminate the rest. Of
 the remaining, elect the CW if there is one. If not,eliminate all non-
members of the Smith set and also the Smith set member with the fewest
approvals.Of the remaining, elect the CW is there is one.If not then
eliminate the remaining candidate with the fewest approvals, and so on.
"When the car gets stuck in the mud, make the horse do as little work as
it has to to pull the car out. Don't just abandon the car and jump on
the horse!"
The car in my metaphor represents the Condorcet method, and the horse
represents the Approval method.
One of the main reasons for the first step (eliminating candidates not
approved by a majority)is to get voters to take the Approval cutoff
seriously.

Chris Benham.