[EM] Worst methods ever used?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Jul 16 09:40:05 PDT 2003

Maybe no one will be interested in this topic, but I wonder if there are any
thoughts on it.  (Was Borda ever used?)

The worst I think I've heard of is Brazil's open-list PR.  (You can vote either
for a party or for a single candidate within a party, which also counts as a vote
for the party.  The seats are divided up based on each party's share of the vote, and
the seats are filled in the order of who got the most individual votes.)

Most voters vote for an individual, and are unconcerned with parties.  That means
a candidate's "surplus" votes serve to elect candidates who may not have any
connection beyond party affiliation.  Parties can't discipline candidates because
parties aren't what earn votes.

If you eliminate the surplus vote transfer, the method seems practically
equivalent to SNTV, which is not so good to begin with.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr