[EM] some July 4 comments

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 5 04:26:04 PDT 2003

Adam Tarr wrote:
 "...Australia's  upper house..is the only one that uses IRV"
This is the wrong way round, only the "lower"  house (the one on which
the government is based) uses IRV. It is called the House of
Representatives  and the other house is called the Senate and it is made
up of an equal numbers of members from each State, elected using the
Hare-Clarke PR method.
One of the things I strongly object to from the "IRV is nearly as bad as
Plurality" Approval proponents , is that they obsessively focus on the
number of  seat-winning/competitive parties a method  encourages/allows
and  seem to assume that all  2-major party systems are equivalent.
Assuming for a moment that a political landscape dominated by 2 major
parties  is a normal and happy situation, isn't it VERY important that
 the party which is prefered by an absolute majority is the winner ?
 Also with IRV  the major parties are under more pressure to avoid being
 challenged and maybe eventually supplanted  by  rivals from the same
"side".
And of course not all  one-party systems are equivalent either. If the
method was Condorcet  in single seats each with approx. the same number
of electors, an insitutional anti-gerrymander in place, no corruption
and a regular high turn-out  and the (unlikely) result was that a
sinlgle party dominates by staking out the centre then arguably that is
a much better scenario than the present  Republicrat "two"-party  system
in the US  today.
I  strongly support  PR.  I  agree that  Adam's IRV  "nightmare" IRV
example  is  conclusively damning, especially  as it is political
spectrum based with everybody voting sincerely/plausibly. And yet on
balance I prefer IRV to  Approval (which to my mind is fundamentally silly).
Recently while contemplating IRV and Coombs, I  thought of a new (to
me)  method as a joke which may not really be so bad.
At each round, have an elimination runoff between the candidate with the
fewest first preferences and the candidate with the most last
preferences. ("Elimination Runoff" ?)
Adam wrote "..the Democrats and the Republicans are quite distinct on a
range of issues". mmm...Haven't you seen that  funny  "Rage against the
Machine" video ?  I think maybe you have a good microscope !

Chris Benham