[EM] To Marquette, to Marquette ...

Narins, Josh josh.narins at lehman.com
Fri Jan 31 14:10:00 PST 2003

The neatest thing about McCall was his 2000 election run for State
Comptroller.

He ran many commercials.

Commericals which said he was the pick of both the Democrat and Republican
parties.

Quite odd, from the outsider's perspective.

Albany is a _very_, _very_ old school government.  Recently at least two
assembly people _admitted_ to taking bribes from Correction Corporation of
America.

It's one of the few states without C-SPAN like coverage of the assembly or
senate.

Generally, budgets are hashed out between three people in a series of
private meetings (Gov, Speaker of Assembly and Senate Majority leader)

Budgets are routinely several to many, many months past due.

Since half of the State's population of ~19 million is in New York City, and
the second biggest city is Buffalo (pop. 200,000), the constant struggle is
between the city and upstate.

Interestingly? my Assemblyman is the Speaker and my state Senator is the
Minority Leader.

I've decided not to run against them in 2004 :)

----