[EM] Condorcet Voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Jan 7 12:04:30 PST 2003

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 02:02:36 +0200 Markus sent us quotes of Condorcet
words - THANKS.

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 18:29:02 +0200 Markus Schulze wrote:

> Dear Eric,
>
> you wrote (7 Jan 2003):
>
>>The algorithm implemented is Beatpath Winner, now mentioned on
>>the site.
>>

> I have suggested that the strength of a pairwise defeat should be
> measured primarily by the number of winning votes and secondarily
> by the margin. An implementation can be found here:
> http://www.topica.com/lists/RankedPairs/read/message.html?mid=1601349191&sort=d&start=34
>
> When there is no unique beat path winner then random ballot should
> be used to choose from the potential winners. I recommend that the
> beat path method should not be restarted with the potential winners
> since this could lead to a violation of monotonicity.
>
> Markus Schulze

Just looking at the above words:

      We agreed a few months ago that there was need for an agreed method
for resolving Condorcet cycles - if that discussion ever got completed, I
missed it.
      I find random ballots acceptable for resolving true ties, assuming
the authority conducting the election agrees.  I do not find them
acceptable as an excuse for not doing what is possible with Condorcet vote
counts.
      IF beatpath winner describes an acceptable method - so be it - else
I hope we look for or construct an acceptable method.

--------------------------------

Eric offered a test case yesterday, and annoyed me by using a method that
reported a tie - and which did not please him either.

Steve Barney mentioned "Kemeny's method" yesterday, but did not provide
enough defense to convince me that it belongs here.
--------------------------------

Opinion as to advanced math:
      NOT acceptable in what the average voter needs to understand.
      Limited amounts in what we tell the average voter about resolving
Condorcet cycles - even here there must be limits to complexity, but we
are resolving near ties and that can be necessarily complex.
      No limits in what is used within the research community, though even
here authors need to successfully communicate with readers.
--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026

----