[EM] 01/18/03 - Markus on Parties and Candidates in any mix:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Fri Jan 17 23:27:21 PST 2003

01/18/03 - Markus on Parties and Candidates in any mix:

Dear Markus and list members,

From: Markus Schulze <markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de>
Subject: Re: [EM] Markus Schulze Wrote and Wrote Again:
Dear Donald,  you wrote (12 Jan 2003):
> Donald:  You should accept this event as proof that most voters vote for
> party first, not the candidate.  Therefore, the better method of the future
> will be a method in which the voter is free to rank parties and/or
> candidates in any mix.

"Markus: "Your statement is very strange because I promote a system where
the voter is free to rank parties and candidates in any mix while you
promote MMP."

This is interesting, I did not realize that anyone on this list would
promote a system where the voter is free to rank parties and candidates in
any mix.
I would like to review this system, where can I see it?  Is it on a
website?  I would like to take a sharp pencil and go over your system
looking for flaws - Ha Ha.

As for MMP, it is not like I am promoting MMP, it's just that the
discussion was about methods that are in use and MMP is the best District
multi-seat method in use today.  But, in my variant of MMP, the voter is
free to rank parties and candidates in any mix.

I had written:
> Donald:  This is necessary in order for the voter to vote for his party
> regardless of the candidate.  It is the desire of the majority to vote for
> their party first, don't fight it Markus, join them, allow the voter to
> rank both parties and candidates.

Markus: "I'm not fighting it. You are fighting it. I want you to remember
that I promote a system where voters can rank both parties and candidates
while you promote MMP. In one of my 24 Dec 2002 mails, I wrote: "I suggest
that a voter should be able to rank parties and candidates."  Markus
Schulze

Donald:  Ops, shame on me, I failed to notice your suggestion.

I went back to December 24th, but I was unable to find your Dec 24 post in
which you said that, but I was able to find a letter by James in which he
quotes you as saying that, so you get full credit, James would not lie.