[EM] 1-person-1-vote has been abandoned.

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 13 22:04:12 PST 2003

Some time ago, two people on this list were advocating the use
of 1-person-1-vote as a criterion for judging methods.

I pointed out to them that 1p1v is a rules criterion, rather than
a behavioral criterion. It simply says what someone believes a
method's rules should be like.

I pointed out that EM members surely wouldn't accept a rules criterion
as a fundamental standard.

I asked if the proponents of 1p1v consider it a fundamental standard,
a derived standard, or just a criterion, either of which need
justification in terms of a fundamental standard.

I then asked those 2 people if they could justify 1p1v in terms
of a fundamental standard.

Their failure to do so, after all this time, is their way of telling
us that they can't justify 1p1v in terms of a fundamental standard,
and that 1p1v apparently has no justification.

Mike Ossipoff