[EM] Majority Choice Approval and Bucklin

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Feb 20 10:56:46 PST 2003

In the main version of MCA, the fifty percent plus of voters is only
needed for electing a candidate on the basis of favorite status.  In other
words, if no candidate has favorite status on more than fifty percent of
the ballots, then the candidate with the most approval is elected, even if
no candidate has fifty percent approval.

The idea of MCA was to minimally extend Approval to allow instrumental
expression (not just token expression) of favorite.