[EM] Basic Arrow's Theorem Question

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 22 17:22:11 PDT 2003

I'm not sure what your question is, but your example focuses on
competition between candidates and the dynamics of a debate.  Arrow's
Theorem doesn't address the fact that adding more candidates to a debate
will change the types of questions discussed and perhaps change people's
preferences.

Arrow's Theorem addresses this situation:  "OK, assume that every voter
has made up his or her mind about the relative merits of WN, PS, and BBQM.
 If you only give them ballots with PS and BBQM listed, say that PS wins.
Then say we add WN and they all vote again.  This time, BBQM (the old
loser) wins, rather than PS (the previous winner) or WN (the new
challenger)."

Arrow proved that you can't design a system that avoids that problem if
you use ranked ballots (assume no equal ranking or truncation for now),
you don't have a dictator (sorry, Ashcroft...), and your method always
picks the unanimous first choice of the voters if such a candidate exists.

Arrow says nothing about that third candidate perhaps changing the terms
of the debate, because that would change voter preferences.  The
assumption is that voter preferences stay fixed.