[EM] Bullet voting in STV-PR

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Fri Apr 11 12:35:05 PDT 2003

At 23:43 +0100 9.4.2003, James Gilmour wrote:
>Vote management of this kind is even more important for factions
>within parties
>when the election is by open or semi-open party list.  I don't know if vote
>management is practised in such elections, but the adverse effects
>of pilling up
>all your support on one popular candidate or of spreading your
>support too thinly
>across several candidates are much greater when the votes are not transferable
>between candidates.

We use SNTV within party lists, but vote management is not common, at
least as far as I know. It occurs if the party has two organized
groups, like when the Communist Party had a Moscow-friendly and a
more nationalistically minded wing. And since candidates on a joint
list are elected in the order of their personal votes, the smaller
party tries to concentrate their votes.

Olli Salmi