[EM] Vote Management

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 10 17:59:02 PDT 2003

--- Alex Small <asmall at physics.ucsb.edu> wrote: > It
seems that this phenomenon of figuring out how
> many candidates to run
> is a common feature of PR systems that focus on
> candidates rather than
> parties.

> Can anybody think of other PR methods that don't
> force parties to either
> limit the size of their tickets, or persuade their
> voters to distribute
> their votes among candidates in a particular manner?

> Anyway, I'm curious if anybody can name other
> systems with few "vote
> management" issues.

Here in NSW, Australia, we have a long history of
electing upper houses by STV with the droop quota,
with the number of seats per electorate being 6 (half
senate election), 12 (rare full senate election), 21
(last NSW upper house elections).

These issues as recently discussed couldn't be more
unfamiliar.  With regard to number of candidates run
per party, if there is a problem, it is that parties
run too many candidates and the ballot is too large

With regard to vote management - I've never heard it
of it.  Voters may vote a favourite candidate in a
party higher, but attempts to arganise vote management
are unheard of.

Certainly, parties are not forced into anything as
quoted above.

I think that if such strategies have an advantage,
they are not used because getting every supported to
vote correctly is already complicated enough

Anthony