[EM] Bullet voting in STV-PR

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 10 08:28:01 PDT 2003

Dear James,

it's a matter of fact that many voters used bullet voting
in the STV elections in New York City. Even authors who
don't consider bullet voting to be a useful strategy write
that bullet voting was a problem in NYC. For example,
Belle Zeller and Hugh A. Bone ("The Repeal of P.R. in New
York City - Ten Years in Retrospect," American Political
Science Review, vol. 42, pp. 1127-1148, 1947) write:

> A better job of education in the principles of P.R. and
> in the mechanics of voting would result not only in fewer
> invalid ballots, but also in meeting many fallacious
> arguments against the system. Such a campaign should be
> carried on by the schools, the press, the parties, and
> civic organizations. The press was much more helpful in
> the early days of P.R. than later in informing the voter
> about the electoral process. Such information might show
> that "bullet voting", or merely marking one choice, does
> not, contrary to many allegations, result in giving minor
> parties more representation. A ballot of this type does
> not help the voter's favorite candidate any more than
> a ballot marked with many choices; and if the favorite
> candidate is defeated, the ballot is wasted.

I guess that you have better access to papers on STV in NYC.
What do they say about bullet voting in NYC? Are there papers
on STV in NYC in the journal "Representation"?

Markus Schulze