[EM] Re: Strong FBC, strategy, thresholds

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 9 23:59:02 PDT 2003

Kevin,
Here is a maybe tolerable method:
Have an approval cutoff  in the rankings. Default cutoff  is between
first and second. Eliminate candidates who do not make a low  Approval
threshold which is related to the number of candidates. Among remaining
candidates: if no CW elect the most approved Smith set member.
This way a voter who wants to give first preference to  a sure loser
 and  second prefernce to a maybe CW, can place approval cutoff between
second and third and so help second preference  make the threshold.
Regarding Forest's  pairs approval method, I think that in practice it
might be that not all of  the major parties will field  2 candidates and
that if they do the voters might react against it  so that the most
 approved pair  might often not be 2 candidates from the same party. But
even so  giving voters a choice between candidates of the same party and
getting all the sincere preferences (or even ratings) on the ballot (and
presumably strictly complying with Majority Favourite) to me makes it
better than plain Approval.

Chris