[EM] IRV in action

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Fri Apr 4 22:38:13 PST 2003

The idea of Nader being the Condorcet winner is absurd.  While it's true
that there was some *very limited* common ground between Nader and the
traditional right wing (some aspects of NAFTA, WTO), the fact of the
matter is that the vast majority of Bush voters would have either
truncated or *maybe* ranked Gore above Nader if there was any actual
threat of Nader winning.

The more realistic three-way Condorcet race from 2000 would have been
between Bush, McCain and Gore, like so:

Bush>McCain: 49,000,000
McCain>Bush>Gore: 1,000,000
McCain>Gore>Bush: 500,000
Gore>McCain: 49,500,001

McCain might very well have won that contest based on second place
strength, and I think there would have been a lot of grumbling, but you
would have had a lot of Bush supporters saying "well, at least Gore
didn't win", and Gore supporters saying "well, at least Bush didn't
win".  In essence, a compromise would have been entirely appropriate.

Of course, under IRV using these ballots, Gore wins by one vote.  We all
know he won by more than that.

Rob