[EM] The Strong Favorite Betrayal Criterion at Last!

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Apr 4 17:53:02 PST 2003

Thinking more about the method described below.  Would FBC compliance
dissolve if pairs were locked in place in order of decreasing approval,
skipping over contradictory victories as in Ranked Pairs?

It seems like the order on the second part of the ballot might be
manipulated to create a contradiction where none naturally existed, which
might give some voter or faction of voters a strategic advantage.

I started thinking along these lines as a way to ensure Pareto compliance.

It could be that every ballot ranked three of the ten candidates in
exactly the same order, say A>B>C, and that, because of neglect, the pair
{A,B} received only 99.999% approval, while {B,C} received 100% approval,
so the final match was B versus C, making B the winner.

One solution would be to extend the social order as far as possible
before generating a cyclic contradiction.  In this example the next pair
locked in would be A>B.

I suppose another solution would be to simply force compliance with Pareto
at the outset by removing all candidates that are strictly dominated by
some other candidate.

Would this destroy compliance with the FBC?

Forest