[EM] Debian election results using IRV

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sun Apr 20 02:29:01 PDT 2003

Hi all,

As I alluded to earlier, I decided to do some analysis of the last
Debian Project Leader election that occurred last month.  It was
officially tallied using Condorcet, and as such, Martin Michlmayr won in
a very close race between him, Bdale Garbee (the incumbent), and Branden
Robinson.

I ran through a few scenarios using Instant Runoff Voting to tally the
votes instead of using Condorcet.  The result depended on whether tied
ballots are allowed.  Allowing for tied ballots (and improvising a way
to deal with them), Martin Michlmayr still wins the election.  However,
strictly following the rules that were just enacted in San Francisco for
future mayorial elections, Branden Robinson would have won.

Anyway, the full results are here:
http://electorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32

Rob Lanphier
http://electorama.com