[EM] Are tied rankings valid in IRV?

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sat Apr 19 20:23:01 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm doing some analysis of the Debian Project Leader election, and I'm
trying to figure out who would have won that election had IRV been
used.  In doing this, it seems the election was close enough that it
matters whether or not tied rankings are allowed.  Many of the voters in
that election voted for multiple candidates as their first choice candidate.

It strikes me that allowing for tied rankings would make IRV behave much
like Approval.  If one ranks all "approved" candidates first in an IRV
election, one could keep those candidates from getting eliminated in the
early rounds.  This not only seems like a good strategy...it seems like
the only winning strategy.

If that's the case, and IRV with tied-rankings works similarly to
approval, would this be a good suggested improvement/clarification for
IRV advocates?

Rob