[EM] New election system proposed - Larger votes for poorer people.

matt at tidalwave.net matt at tidalwave.net
Sat Sep 21 15:53:25 PDT 2002

On 21 Sep 2002 at 10:26, Steve Glickman wrote:

Since you inexplicably sent this as a response to my completely unrelated message
maybe for some unexplained reason you are seeking my reaction?  Politicizing the
design of the election process, no matter how good the intention, is a very bad idea.
Your proposal, by selectively striving to give some people more voting power than
others, politicizes the design of the election process.  Once the election design
process is politicized it loses its integrity.

More proportional representation via multi-winner elections tallied using
proportional representation methods gives more influence to constituencies that
would otherwise be unable to use the election process to influence the candidates.
Proportional representation increases representation generally without singling out
any pre-identified group.  It gives minority groups a bigger voice in the election
outcome regardless of whether the minorities are poor or rich or whatever and thus
doesn't politicize the election process.

----