[EM] New election system proposed - Larger votes for poorer people.

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 21 13:08:39 PDT 2002

Steve, as presented in your EM message, your ideas sound interesting.

Life is short, and your website is so full of irrelevant time-consuming
front matter, that I'm not sure when I will find time to go back to it for
long enough to get to your full set of essential ideas.  I wasn't sure where
on the site they lurk.  The math by itself is not self-explanatory, and
anyhow for an applied mathematician of my ilk the fun and interest and
understanding must start with the proposed "non"-technical ideas and
application.

I appreciate your honest admission that your ideas call for keeping the
present oligarchic setup of having a few long-term-serving officers (elected
"leaders") make our policy decisions.

In our present setup, since wealth is already rather concentrated in a small
fraction of the electorate, their electoral and post-election influence is
scarcely through their own vote but rather through use of their wealth not
only to hire lobbyists but also - directly (Tammany Hall style) or
indirectly (through mass-media messages) - to buy the votes of the middle
and poor classes.  So in essence we already have a system where rich trade
wealth to the poor in return for voting power.

Maybe you have a succinct direct summary of your ideas, which indicates just
how their effect would be materially different to the above mechanisms, in
ways we really would care about.  Looking forward to reading it.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA