[EM] 09/20/02 - The Manipulation Test:

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 20 10:42:15 PDT 2002

Donald E Davison said:

> Mike Saari: "Suppose there are only two candidates, or suppose that all
> candidates have been eliminated down to only two.
>
> Here is the sample scenario:
> All of the voters rate candidate "B" as "very good".
> 60% of the voters rate candidate "A" as "excellent"
> The other 40% of the voters rate candidate "A" as "awful".
>
> Donald: Candidate A is the winner.  I'm telling you that right up
> front.  I don't need to hear a bunch of twisted logic to the contrary.

I'm with Donald on this one.  When a candidate is the first choice of a
majority of the voters he should win.  Fortunately, the Approval variant
known as Majority Choice Approval would give the result that Donald and I
both advocate in this scenario.

60$ of the voters would rate A as "Preferred", the other 40% would rate A
"Unacceptable."  Everybody would rate B "Acceptable".  Since A was
preferred by a majority he would win.

A is also the Condorcet winner in this case....

Alex

----