[EM] The good counter-example

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 20 06:22:17 PDT 2002

If it is any consolation, it is the only class where a reversal
can happen with only three candidates.
You need at least one sincere truncated ballot from the start.
However the equations even let you some freedom.
If I do not mess again,
>3: A
>2: A >B >C
>2: B >A >C
>2: B >C >A
>3: C
should show the same behavior...
The relative fraction of cases is small, but
the number of cases is infinite (except if you restrict the
total number of voters).
However, it seems the relative fraction would growth fast when
increasing the
number of candidates. I have not verified if a sincere truncated
ballot is necessary for 4 candidates or more.

What surprises me is the fact that there is a sincere Condorcet winner
from the start. Sorry Bart if I misleaded you.

Steph.

----