[EM] Truncation

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Wed Sep 18 23:30:37 PDT 2002

I'm basically looking at the inputs and outputs, and ignoring what goes
on in between as irrelavent.  Adam seems to be taking the opposite
approach, which I suspect is more difficult.

The reason I am comparing only the diagonal (T/T vs. NT/NT) is that the
A and C sides can't know which they are in advance of the election (in
other words, which is the majority faction).  So whatever strategy
applies to one applies to both; in fact there is no way for the two
sides to distinguish themselves on your matrix in advance of the
election.

In effect, the two sides combine as a "pool" of votes, and don't know
which side they are on until after the election.  In fact by truncating
they are voting for an AC lottery over a probable B win.

Another approach, using utilities:

Assuming a utility for a side's own candidate of 1.0, and the opposite
side's of 0.0, and a roughly equal (0.5) chance of being on the majority
side, bilateral truncation yields an expected utility of outcome of 0.5
for each side by guaranteeing the winner will be either A or C.

If neither side truncates, the expected utility of outcome would be the
same as each sides' utility for B.  If no truncation, I would expect
this to be something greater than 0.5; if truncation, then something
less than 0.5 (as a source of incentive to truncate).

Bart

----