[EM] Truncation

matt at tidalwave.net matt at tidalwave.net
Wed Sep 18 18:56:35 PDT 2002

On 18 Sep 2002 at 17:46, Adam Tarr wrote:

> Now, if only the A camp truncates:
>
> 46 A
> 5 BAC
> 5 BCA
> 44 CBA
>
> Pairwise votes are:
>
> B 54 > A 46
> A 51 > C 49
> C 44 > B 10
>
> B wins the election in winning votes, and C wins the election in margins.

I give the unranked B=C 1/2 vote each so that C 67 > B 33.  This makes B the
margins winner thus making winning votes and margins results identical.  wv and
margins become equivelent in the sense that one implies the other by giving equal
rankings 1/2 vote each when completing incomplete ballots .  Can you show that
margins will ever penalize a voter for complete rankings when equal ranking are
counted 1/2 vote each?  If not, then I think your case for wv over margins is based
on unjustified undercounting of equal rankings.

----