[EM]

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Sep 18 08:12:32 PDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Narins, Josh wrote:

> Joe, this statement is not rigorous.
>
> > Four levels are surely enough to
> > distinguish substantially distinct degrees of active approval.
>
> >From something I read back in college, 7 levels (much above, above, slightly
> above, average, slightly below, below, much below) is "sufficient"

"Sufficient unto the day is the rigor thereof."

In the academic setting two levels are statistically sufficient.  The
justification for more than two levels (partial credit) is mainly
psychological.

Note that if two levels are sufficient, then so are seven levels, so this
information does not contradict what you heard in college :-)

----