[EM] Slightly off-topic but interesting

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 10 16:18:44 PDT 2002

Narins, Josh said:
> The states which receive tax money, are saying "No, we don't need it"
> And the states which give tax money are saying "Please, take more"
>
> Wow, that's the first positive political conclusion I've ever made :)

More interesting is that the number of beneficiaries is 30 states, exactly
the number needed to break a filibuster.  It would be interesting to go
through history and find out if in general the number of beneficiaries has
normally been the number needed to break a filibuster in the Senate, and
if Senators vote for or against a budget according to whether their state
is a recipient or donor.

Alex

----