[EM] Dual Dropping method and 'Preference Approval' ballot ideas

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 10 10:53:17 PDT 2002

> I'm honestly unsure if the final ranking of the candidates other than
> the  winners, and the defeats that need to be overturned to produce
> such a  ranking, are at all relevant.  It seems like this is more of a
> multi-winner  issue.

You're right.  Excessive worry about the rankings of the losers is one
motivation behind Donald Saari's work, at least from what I've seen in his
book _Chaotic Elections_.  This excessive worry (and a disproportionate
view of the importance of symmetry) leads Saari to recommend the Borda
Count.  Most of us would rather not go down that road....

Alex

----