[EM] 09/20/02 - The Manipulation Test:

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Fri Sep 20 04:08:30 PDT 2002

09/20/02 - The Manipulation Test:

  -------------- Forwarded Letter and Comments ------------
From: Saari at aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 04:06:43 EDT
To: donald at mich.com

Mike Saari wrote: "I still have seen no resolution to a very simple question."

Dear Mike,

I recall that you did present this question before, but I don't remember on
which list.  I must have deleted the post (Mike `gets no respect').
It's not my problem if no one on a list will not reply to some of your
posts, welcome to the club.  This is not a perfect world, people don't
always do what we would like them to do, get use to it.  I'm going to
answer your letter now because I can use your letter as a carrier to make a
point or two of my own (he also wants to bad mouth Approval Voting).

A question like yours should be presented to a list, then no one can be
blamed for not responding.  I have a question for you: `If a letter falls
onto a list and no one responds, was there any noise?"

Anyway, I am forwarding your letter to a few lists, maybe there will be
some noise this time.  One of the lists is the Election Methods list, a
`hot-bed' of Approval Voting cult members.  Surely, one or two of the
cult's members will give you the resolution you are seeking, (the `hot-bed'
will give Mike some respect).  For sure, you're not going to get what you
want from me.

Mike Saari: "Suppose there are only two candidates, or suppose that all
candidates have been eliminated down to only two.

Here is the sample scenario:
All of the voters rate candidate "B" as "very good".
60% of the voters rate candidate "A" as "excellent"
The other 40% of the voters rate candidate "A" as "awful".

Donald: Candidate A is the winner.  I'm telling you that right up front.  I
don't need to hear a bunch of twisted logic to the contrary.

Mike Saari: "(assume these "ratings" are honest expressions of the true
feelings of the voters,..."

Donald:  No No Mike, No can do.  If we are going to have a debate we both
need to agree on the `ground rules'. I do not agree to assume these
`ratings' are honest expressions of the true feeling of the voters.'  This
is a flaw in your example.  The true expression of each `B' voter would not
bullet vote candidate `B' in the face of the fact that the `A' voters all
rated candidate `B' in second place.  Honest expression of true feelings
would be mutual, in other words, most of the `B' voters would rank
candidate `A' as second choice, unless the faction decided to manipulate
the election and try to gain an advantage by bullet voting, which is most
likely what is happening in your election, but you'll only get away with it
one time.  The `A' faction will also be bullet voting in the next election,
and then goodbye Approval Voting, for Approval Voting is what you are
selling with your simple minded question.

Mike Saari: "...although how such data can be gathered in real life is a
separate question)."

Donald:  Don't be sly, we all know it's Approval Voting you are selling.

Mike Saari: "So which candidate is the "better" choice - the one liked by
everybody, or the one hated by 40% of the group?"

Donald:  Answer: Candidate `A'.  See I told you you're not going to get
from me the answer you are looking for.

Mike Saari: "The question is not answerable with logic."

Donald:  Sorry, but I must insist that we must agree on any `ground rules'.
the question is answerable by logic or illogic.

Mike Saari: "I simply note that virtually every known "voting system",
including IRV, will inexorably choose candidate "A" as the winner (since
more than half prefer A over B).  The fact that A is intensely disliked by
many (whereas B is liked by everybody) is disregarded under most so-called
democratic voting systems."

Donald:  You have just implied that most all election methods are not
democratic.  You should not fight two battles at once.  You run the risk of
someone only replying to this one point, if so, he would sidestep your main
question, leaving it unanswered, like it was unimportant, like as if not
replying at all to your letter.  You already know what that feels like ( Ha
Ha ).

Mike Saari: "There are some who believe, philosophically, that the
candidate preferred by the majority MUST be the correct choice."

Donald:  CORRECTION:  Almost `ALL' people believe `the majority MUST be the
correct choice.'

Mike Saari: "Such a belief is unfounded, though, if you realize that this
method creates a "40% are unhappy" group, whereas a system with some
possibility to choose the less "exciting" (but liked by all) candidate B
creates a group which is more contented overall."

Donald:  If this is the best argument you can present for Approval Voting,
then you lose, because almost everyone wants their own number one to win.
The Approval supporters are fools to think Nader would have won if the last
Presidential election was an Approval Voting election.

Mike Saari: "I don't think that a true democracy should choose intensely
disliked (by 40%) candidates over a "liked by all" alternative, but that is
exactly what will happen for the scenario just described."

Donald:  Well, think again.  You are wrong, but your example is not a total
waste, it does point to another flaw in Approval Voting.  Your example is a
case in which one candidate (A) is leading in the pre-polls by 60 over 40,
but some other candidate wins the election, the Approval election.  Almost
all the public believes in the policy of the majority winner being the
`true majority winner', if I may use that term (oh oh, you're in trouble
now, the Approval cult doesn't like for you to use that term, that term
belongs to them).
The public is not going to stand for the `true majority winner' losing the
election because of some weird method - out with the method.

Mike Saari: "How does IRV respond to such criticism?"  Thanks, Mike

Donald:  Irving allows the voters to make lower choices without those lower
choices harming an earlier choice, this is not true of Approval Voting.
But of more importance is the final test of a method, that is, The
Manipulation Test.  The policy of manipulation has been raised by Tom Ruen
and next is my description:

  T H E   M A N I P U L A T I O N   T E S T   by Donald Davison

"If a method can be manipulated, then, by God, let's teach the public how
to manipulate the method.  The ensuing chaos will force the public to seek
and accept a better method."

Approval Voting can be manipulated out of existance.  Irving cannot be
manipulated.
You, or any other person, is invited to try to manipulate an Irving
election so that the election elects the wrong candidate, that is , a
minority candidate of a minority faction.

Copies of Tom Ruen's letter on his manipulation suggestion and my reply to
him are below: