CR & Arrow

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Oct 20 12:09:28 PDT 2002

Ironically, Borda seems to be one of the least predictable methods when
you consider voter strategy.  Supporters of one dominant candidate
should bury preferences for the other dominant candidates, up to the
point that one or more of the minor candidates start to become a
threat.  The result is that in a competitive race all candidates,
including the minor ones, tend to receive nearly identical points.  Any
kind of inaccuracy in the polls, or miscalculation on the part of the
voters, could throw the race in an unpredictable direction.

Coombs's method may be worse, I'm not sure, but then I haven't seen
anyone advocate it for public elections.

Bart

----