[EM] The Copeland/Borda wv hybrid

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Nov 27 14:36:02 PST 2002

A natural variation on this method would be to form W' by putting the
candidates' respective approval scores along the main diagonal instead of
the row sums from W.  Then the disapproval scores would go along the
diagonal of D'.

This method requires approval information, so Demorep style ballots, grade
ballots with a passing cutoff, or a None of the Below candidate option
would be needed.

Lacking approval information, one could use the number of ballots that
rank the candidate, and the number that truncate the candidate,
respectively, in place of the approval and disapproval scores.

Note that in graph G1, the edges go "uphill" that is from loser to winner,
and that in graph G2 the arrows go downhill.  So high equilibrium values
are good in the first case, and low are good in the second case.  That's
why high values are good for the entries of the vector  z =  x - y .

[The eigenvectors are the equilibrium vectors.]

The main reason to have something along the main diagonal is to assure
convergence.  If the diagonal entries are all zero, then it might turn out
that normalization of the columns puts a one in each column, and that the
matrix W'' becomes a permutation matrix.

In that case, for any power of W'', the average of its column vectors is a
vector whose entries are all equal to each other.  The method would be
indecisive.  This would be the case in a three candidate cycle, for
example, if we didn't put something along the main diagonal.

By the way, in my recipe for finding x, to be accurate in these degenerate
cases, I should have said, "Raise W'' to a high power, and take the
average of the column vectors for x."

In other words, substitute the phrase "average of the column vectors" for
the phrase "common column vector" in the text below.

In other words, start with a vector x_0 all of whose entries are ones.
Recursively let x_n = W''x_(n-1) . Find the limit of x_n as n approaches
infinity.  Then normalize to get x.

My preference is the version based on approval/disapproval scores down the
main diagonals of W' and D', respectively.

It seems like a more seamless method than Demorep's ACMA for combining
approval scores into a method satisfying the Condorcet Criterion.

Forest

----