[EM] Sports and 'The Condorcet Mindset'

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Nov 22 17:03:54 PST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Michael Rouse wrote in part:

<snip>

> That's one of the reasons I like the mean Kemeny order. Sure, it's hard
> (NP-hard, actually) to figure out the winner this way, but it's even harder
> to successfully manipulate it by insincere voting. It obeys the extended
> Condorcet criterion without getting caught in circular ties, and has been
> used to fight against spam websites where the owner tries to manipulate page
> rank "votes" in order to move his wesite up search engine "candidates" list
> (see http://www10.org/cdrom/papers/577/ ).

Thanks for the URL for the above wesite.

By the way, what I have been calling "Bubble Sorted Borda" is what these
authors call "The Local Kemenization of Borda," and what I have called
"Bubble Sorted Approval" they would call "The Local Kemenization of the
Approval Order."

As they point out, Global Kemenization is intractable, but the local
version is computationally nice, and retains much of the desirability
of the global Kemeny Order.

Forest

----