[EM] Sports and "The Condorcet Mindset"

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sun Nov 17 18:05:08 PST 2002

Alex wrote,

>IRV is like a post-season tournament,
>where teams and players qualify by doing well during the regular season
>and procede through a series of eliminations.

Actually, this is still not very IRV-ish, since each team competes in a
series of pairwise tests in the elimination series.  IRV would be more
analogous to the current college football season, where we use the results
of different (largely disjoint) athletic conferences to pick two teams to
play in a national title game.  The winner is declared the champion, but in
some years people claim that the best team was left out of the title
game.  There's no way to be sure, since a team doesn't play all the other
teams.

>Condorcet is more like
>boxing, where a person only keeps the title by being undefeated (cycles
>are deadlocks where NO person is undefeated).

As you pointed out, it's not a perfect analogy, since every boxer doesn't
face every other boxer in any predictable time span.  Maybe a better
example is the eight-team college baseball World Series, where teams play a
double elimination bracket.  Not every team plays every other team, but if
you are knocked out you had to lose to a team that lost to the champion by
extension.  The cyclic ambiguity is possible, if you beat the eventual
champion (giving them their first and only loss), only to be beaten by two
other teams before reaching the championship game.  This sort of outcome is
uncommon but it does happen.

Or perhaps the race really was a good analogy for Condorcet?  After all, a
race does compare every candidate to every other candidate in a pairwise
fashion, simultaneously.  But there's no analog to the cyclic ambiguity.

>Approval Voting is like
>gymnastics, where each candidate is judged independently.

Or maybe a more binary scoring single event like archery.  Well actually, I
think Archery scores on a 1-10 scale depending on how close to the target
you hit, but in the Olympics I don't recall hearing anything but 9's and 10's.

-Adam

----