[EM] Need IRV examples; voting show

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Nov 3 12:54:36 PST 2002

The issue is that H wins BOTH precincts, but still loses the combined
election.  That's the definition of consistency as applied to voting
systems.  It seems to me to be related to monotonicity violations.

I think the question is not so much whether the individual precinct
results are relevant, as what it says about the rationality of the
voting system in use.

For example, instead of precincts, suppose the division is between
walk-in and absentee votes, or between election-night and recount
results.  Imagine candidate A being declared the winner, with a recount
turning up additional votes supporting A, thereby causing A to lose.  I
think this would undermine public acceptance of the outcome, especially
given the recent hysteria surrounding the U.S. electoral college.  The
answer might be to keep all preliminary results secret, but I'd be more
comfortable if that weren't necessary.

Bart

----