[EM] The Small Voting Machine (was Strong FBC)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri May 24 14:36:46 PDT 2002

Here's the promised heuristic for the convergence of the strategic
utilities to the sincere utilities in the sequence of voting methods M1,
M2, M3, ... described below:

Let's say that b(i,j,k) is the optimal strategic utility of the i_th voter
for candidate j in method k.  In terms of the notation introduced by my
candidate in the i_th member of the ballot set B(M[k],U).

Lemma: If we hold i and j constant, then the sequence b(i,j,1), b(i,j,2),
... b(i,j,k) ... is monotone.

In other words if k2 is between k1 and k3, then b(i,j,k2) is between
b(i,j,k1) and b(i,j,k3).  Here I use "between" inclusively so that we can
say that 0.5 is between 0.7 and 0.5, even though it is not "strictly
between" those two numbers.

I don't have a proof of this lemma, but it seems reasonable, and if it is
true, it easily follows that the sequence converges.

If each such sequence converges, then the sequence of ordered strategic
utility sets  B(M1,U), B(M2,U), ... also converges.

So if the Lemma is true, all that remains is to show that the limit L of
this latter sequence is U.

Suppose that the sequence of methods also converges in the sense that
M1(U), M2(U), ... converges to some outcome (or set of outcomes) M(U).

Then  M(U)=M(L) and B(M,U)=L, and therefore

M(B(M,U))=M(U).

In other words, for this limit method M the oracle optimization yields the
same results as the sincere utilities.

Well there are lots of loose ends in the "proof", but the basic ideas are
there.

Forest

----