[EM] 05/23/02 - Single-Seat Cumulative is not FPTP:

Narins, Josh josh.narins at lehman.com
Wed May 22 09:02:12 PDT 2002

You know, the one thing that always confused me about IRV was this...

Some people choose A through J as first choice.

D is the loser in terms of IRV for the first round.

Why should the people who chose the loser get the power to then decide the
winner in subsequent rounds?

I mean, the people I'd trust LEAST would be those who had the audacity to
chose the bottom candidate in a field of 10.

It's just a principle thing.

It's like letting the people who want Grub flavored ice cream get to decide
between chocolate and vanilla.

Eww!