[EM] Question on Condorcet/Kemeny order

Michael Rouse mrouse at cdsnet.net
Mon May 20 19:12:51 PDT 2002

I've been looking at Kemeny orders in elections, and I was wondering if any
of the more widely-read EM subscribers could answer a few questions I have.

1. Excluding circular ties, do Condorcet orders and Kemeny orders yield the
same results?

2. If the answer to question 1 is "yes," does the Kemeny order have any
drawbacks (other than being NP-hard) in resolving circular ties?

3. If the answer to question 1 is "not necessarily," is there an easy
example illustrating the difference?

4. Is there the website equivalent of "Kemeny orders for dummies" that you
could recommend?

Thanks for any info!

Mike Rouse
mrouse at cdsnet.net