Majority-Choice Approval

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 15:24:56 PDT 2002

Sorry if I unintentionally misrepresented Demorep's proposal. My intent was
the opposite:  to present an indubitably viable version.

As Demorep has just noted, I wrote that he "has urged that in general an
electoral winner be certified only if a majority of voters have in effect
voted ‘Yes’ for the winner:  otherwise,the position should be filled by the
legislature or some other designated body."

To iterate and clarify his proposal he writes:  "The legislative body
involved with the executive or judicial office can fill any vacancy in any
such office if there is NO majority YES winner.  Where the *other designated
body* came from in any of my postings is a mystery to me (and this list)
???"

Well, the reason for my adding 'other designated body' is that the
proposal's general intent is clear, but its intended practical realization
may be unclear.  In many cases you do need to 'designate' - i.e. spell out
precisely - just what is to be meant by 'the legislative body involved'.

Such a body may not exist, or there may be more than one.  For instance,
consider a statewide elective office in a bicameral legislature state. (I
believe that could be 49 out of the 50 states, excluding only Nebraska)?
How do two houses somehow elect somebody?  (Yes, there are many possible
ways:  which particular way, or which possibilities, are in fact
contemplated?)

Sometimes an office' electorate does not match that of any legislative body
- for instance, here in California, seats and districts of the state 'Board
of Equalization'.  Or, for that matter, consider a US House position.  What
is 'the' legislative body involved:  the US House alone, the joint US
Congress, or the state's legislature (likely bicameral)?

In these various cases there is no universally obvious unique 'the
legislative body involved'.  No matter:  the basic idea of Demorep's
proposal is viable for any office, when voters have not given any candidate
a YES majority, provided responsibility for filling the office falls to a
clearly designated body possessing a clearly defined election procedure.

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA