[EM] Approval Strategy

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sun May 5 14:49:53 PDT 2002

Arnie Urken wrote:

>Please correct me if I am wrong--I have been away from the list for a
>while--but isn't this strategy similar to the finding in the literature
>that says that optimally, approval votes should be cast for each choice
>that equals or exceeds the voter's average utility rating of the candidates?

It's not that similar actually.  The "A" strategy discussed here says that
whether you vote for a candidate or not depends solely on your ranking of
them relative to the top two candidates.  If one were to vote for all
above-average utility candidates, then your vote would be influenced by the
addition of a minor candidate to the race who has no support and no chance
of winning.

Furthermore, I don't think the literature says "optimally, approval votes
should be cast for each choice that equals or exceeds the voter's average
utility rating of the candidates."  The optimal choice depends not only on
the utility of a given candidate, but also the estimated probability of
that candidate winning the election.  Mike Ossipoff and Richard Moore
have  contributed a lengthy recent thread on this subject; see "delta-p
approval strategy" in the archive.

-Adam

----