[EM] Approval Strategy

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sat May 4 11:44:13 PDT 2002

Rob LeGrand wrote:

>Strategy A: Approve all candidates I prefer to the current CRAB
>first-placer; also approve the first-placer if I prefer him to the
>second-placer.

>strategy A always homes in on the Condorcet winner when one exists and all
>voters use the same strategy.

This is really an outstanding insight.  A reliable approval strategy that
requires knowledge of the polling information rather than estimations of
probabilities of victory, and requires ordinal rankings of candidates
rather than estimates of candidate utility.

While this is only assured to work with CRAB balloting and with all voters
using the strategy, this strategy seems near-optimal for a standard
approval election, and it requires none of the hard-to-come-by estimates of
some of the slightly more accurate methods.

-Adam

----