Strong FBC

Rob LeGrand honky1998 at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 18:04:40 PDT 2002

Forest wrote:
> The beauty of Cumulative Repeated Approval Balloting is that the
> randomness required for non-manipulability is approximated by the pseudo
> randomness inherent in the chaos of the cyclic patterns.  So the method is
> absolutely deterministic, but random enough to thwart insincere voting.

This is an excellent point; I agree completely.  The G-S theorem says that CRAB
is *technically* prone to manipulation, but it can be seen as *practically*
strategy-free (for large elections, anyway).  If only most people were smart
enough to understand it . . .

Speaking of "the chaos of the cyclic patterns", I've written a program to draw
Craig-Carey-style triangle graphs.  Each of the three corners corresponds to a
certain ranked ballot; each point inside the triangle corresponds to an
election with those ballots in the same proportions as the distances from the
point to the corners.  Each point is colored according to the winner of its
election given the election method.  Using CRAB as the method results in a
gorgeous pattern of swirling colors where there's no Condorcet winner.  (At the
moment, my implementation of CRAB isn't strictly deterministic like Forest's
is.)

--
Rob LeGrand
honky98 at aggies.org