[EM] Majority Winners and 3-Level Approval

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri May 3 18:03:57 PDT 2002

Why stop there?

The fewer the levels, the simpler the ballot, and the more meaningful each
distinction.

Three levels is just enough for Favorite, Compromise, and Disapproved, the
minimum required for solving the spoiler problem without erasing the
distinction between Favorite and Compromise.

This turns out to be an important psychological distinction, the main
reason that most IRVists believe that IRV solves the spoiler problem
better than Approval does.

Forest

----